Homestead Online Application
Instructions for Completing Your Application
Select the exemption for which you are applying. *NOTE* You only need to apply once as long as all of the information you are declaring never changes. If you become eligible for a different type of exemption as of January 1 (disability, age 62 or age 65 exemptions) you will need to reapply.
Proof of Residence for Henry County applicant(s) is required to determine the owner’s eligibility for exemptions (i.e. Vehicle registration, GA Driver’s License, Georgia ID).
*Please note on April 1st there will be a 5:00pm cut off time for submitting online Applications.
Mailed in applications must be Postmarked by USPS on or before April 1st*
WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2023 TAX YEAR
1.Property address- property address where applicant(s) is applying for exemption. *attach copy of your warranty deed*
2.Property ID/Parcel # – property id/parcel # where applicant(s) is applying for exemption
3.Date applicant(s) began to occupy property – date moved to this property as primary residence
4.Primary/legal residence – do applicant(s) live at this property
5. Mailing Address – mailing address if different than property address
6.Number of houses on property – total number of houses on this property
7.Previous address – address where applicant(s) lived prior to moving to this property/home (enter SAME if adding an exemption to an existing Homestead)
8.Previous primary residence – Please indicate if previous residence is still owned or has been sold. If the applicant was a tenant, please indicate rented. If none of these apply, indicate Other. Include a separate piece of paper if needed.
9. Date moved – date moved from their previous address
10. Does applicant/spouse claim residency or exemptions on any other property in this or any other county or state? – list address(es), include a separate piece of paper if needed
11. Address(es) of additional property owned by you or your spouse in or out of Georgia – list address(es), include a separate piece of paper if needed
12. Exemption removal letter – If applicant(s) owns another residence in another County/State, letter from the Tax office (on County letterhead) must be submitted stating there is NO exemption on said residence(s). Not required if previous address is a Henry address.
13. Applicant Names – All as shown on the recorded deed-indicate spouses name even if they are not listed owner on this property *( attached required Drivers License and Vehicle registration for Spouse and ALL names on deed.)
14. Date of Birth – birth date(s)
15. Phone Number – daytime phone number(s)
16. Email – email address(es)
17. County and State of Voter Registration – where applicant is currently registered to vote*Must be registered in Henry County*.
18. Attach copy of vehicle registration(s) – *attach a copy of the current registration(s) reflecting the property address as proof of residency (please note a copy of your insurance cards or license plate is NOT a valid form of registration)
19. Attach copy of Henry County Driver License or ID number – list driver license number/ID number (*attach a photocopy
20. Marital Status – choose legal status
21. Spouses Name (if married) - indicate spouses name even if they are not a listed owner on this property (* attach a photocopy
22. Active military and legal state of residence – if yes, list legal state of residence.
Instructions for Filing Your Application
An exemption can be applied on only 1 (one) homesteaded property, which means the applicant(s) must own, occupy, and claim the property as their legal residence on January 1 of the year for which application is made. A married couple is allowed Homestead exemption on only 1 (one) residence. Complete application with all required documentation and apply in person, drop box located at both locations or mail to (faxed or emailed copy not accepted):
HENRY COUNTY TAX COMMISSIONER
140 HENRY PARKWAY MCDONOUGH, GA 30253
164 BURKE STREET STOCKBRIDGE, GA 30281
770-288-8180 opt. #3
Applications must be received, or U.S. postmarked by April 1 for processing in that tax year. Metered or kiosk postmark is not accepted as proof of timely mailing. If received after filing deadline, application will be processed for the following year.
When filing by mail or in person, provide a copy of the following items along with the application as applicable (other documents may be requested):
Georgia Vehicle Registration - Vehicles are required to be registered at primary residence per O.C.G.A.48-5-444. Provide registration for all vehicles owned by you and/or spouse.
Henry County Driver License or Henry County ID (
Final Divorce Decree - Required if indicated single or divorced.
Spouse’s Death Certificate - Required if applicant(s) has joint ownership.
Homestead Exemption Verification letter from Tax Official – Required if applicant(s) owns any other residence in another county/state. This is to verify that no other homestead exemption is being claimed.
Completed Trust Affidavit – Required if property is held in a trust.
Additional documentation is needed for the following:
Service Connected Disabled Veteran Exemption
Letter from Veteran’s Administration indicating the effective date of the veteran’s disability rated at 100% or paid at 100% due to unemployability, service connected, permanent and totally, honorable discharge. Service Connected Surviving Spouse of an Armed Conflict
Letter from Secretary of Defense evidencing the unremarried surviving spouse receiving spousal benefits as a result of the death of their spouse.
Henry County Standard Disability Homestead Applications
Proof of disability letter (certified) from 2 (two) Georgia physicians licensed to practice medicine under the laws of Georgia certifying that in the opinion of such physicians such person is mentally or physically incapacitated to the extent that such person is unable to be gainfully employed and that such incapacity is likely to be permanent OR one letter from a physician licensed to practice medicine under the law of Georgia certifying that in the opinion of such physician such person is mentally or physically incapacitated to the extent that such person is unable to be gainfully employed and that such incapacity is likely to be permanent and a copy of the Social Security award letter.
Surviving Spouse of a Firefighter/Peace Officer Killed in the Line of Duty
A copy of a death certificate and documentation from the municipality evidencing the Firefighter or Peace Officer was killed in the line of duty.
YOU ARE NOW APPLYING FOR THE 2023 TAX YEAR
MUST READ HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION REQUIREMENTS CHECKLIST BEFORE PROCEEDING TO ONLINE APPLICATION CLICK HERE
TO PRINT AN HOMESTEAD APPLICATION CLICK HERE